Happy Earth Day! Even though Earth Day typically isn't a holiday that's celebrated in traditional ways, it's purpose is too important to overlook. There are things that we can do every day to live more sustainably and reduce the impact that we have on our environment. We've all heard the 3 R's of waste management: Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. When you think about what that looks like, you might think of recycling the materials from products that you've purchased, walking instead of driving, or donating items that no longer serve a purpose in your house, rather than throwing them out. This Earth Day, I wanted to highlight a few of the ways that we're all working together to make a difference, starting with what you might be doing already.
Have you ever made a project out of fabric scraps? Altered a piece of clothing for yourself or for someone else? Turned an old project into something new? By doing these things, you're repurposing your materials so that they can be used again. Not only are you keeping material out of the landfill, you are also reducing the packaging that is used whenever a new product is purchased or produced. By being creative and using what you have, you're also reducing your impact in multiple ways! If you want to take your efforts to protect the environment a step further, you may consider shopping with brands who are eco-conscious to make your projects. Many brands are taking on huge and inspiring projects to reduce the impact that their business practices have on the environment, and they'll give you plenty of details about what they're doing on their websites.
Just one example of a brand who is trying to do their part in an incredible and huge way, is Madeira, who makes embroidery threads and stabilizer. This world-wide company seeks to reduce their ecological impact as much as possible, and they challenge themselves to improve each year. To read more about Madeira and their sustainability practices, please visit their website here.
Madeira's new and innovative Sensa Green embroidery thread is among the most sustainable embroidery threads in the world. To learn more about how it's made, and what makes it so special, check out this excerpt from their website, and the video below.
Additionally, you can find this product on our website here.
Details that make a difference
"When we talk about the environment, we often refer to the butterfly effect: how even little changes can make a big difference. Sensa Green is one of those little things with significance – a state-of-the-art embroidery thread.
1. The main ingredient in Sensa Green comes fromsustainably managed forests. The trees are grown on non-agricultural soil, are watered by the rain and do not require pesticides, fungicides or herbicides. And they are tall, offering more raw material over the same surface when compared to other plantations, like cotton. In this way, the land is used most efficiently and consciously.
2. In order to extract cellulose, the raw materials are turned intowoodchips. The non-cellulosic components are then saved to create other products. Nothing is wasted.
3. A further transformation turns the cellulose into apulpfrom which the biodegradable Lyocell fibres are derived – the same material (wood pulp) is usually required for producing paper.
4. The TENCEL™ Lyocellis manufactured by Lenzing, using resource-saving and eco-friendly processes that have received the European Business Award for the Environment. The revolutionary closed-loop technology reuses the water and more than 99 % of the organic solvent, and generates close to zero emissions.
5. These fibres are transported short distances and arrive to Madeira's factory in Germany, where many expert threads are made. Here, they get theirsilk matte coloursand finish to become Sensa Green.
6. What emerges: asensationally soft embroiderythread sure to please your senses. Its incredible performance on industrial machines ensures high qualitywith a low ecological impact.Not to mention that substances of animal origin are avoided from beginning to end.
Sensa Green makes every stitch matter and feel amazing!" (Madeira, Madeira Garnfabrik 2022)
To help us reduce our ecological footprint, we have opted into Shopify Carbon Offsetting, and we use Ecoenclose packaging whenever we can. Ecoenclose is a packaging company that makes one of the world's most sustainable packaging. Their packaging is recyclable, reusable, naturally biodegradable, and made from recycled materials.
When you shop with Myers Sewing, you can shop with ease knowing that we share values like yours; we value the environment that we live in, and want to keep it clean. I hope you have a happy Earth Day, and that you find a way to make it meaningful to you. 🌲 🌻